North Shropshire News
Ginger and Spice Festival 2017
7th September 2017
The festival line-up includes some exciting and novel foodie experiences such as a pop-up restaurant ‘Wild Spice’ & also a wild foraging walk with local ‘Wild Shropshire’ chef James Sherwin. The festival organisers are also delighted to be featuring comedian cook ‘George Egg’, who will set the tone for the festival with his hilarious and imaginative stand-up sell-out show ‘DIY Cook’. Award winning, multi instrumentalist and singer songwriter, Heidi Browne, will also be starring at the festival.
The Ginger and Spice Festival will include satellite events taking place every evening from Wednesday 27th September to Friday 29th September, with the main event, ‘The Spice Exchange Market’, taking place from 10am to 4pm in the historic centre of the town (and beer garden of the Clive & Coffyne pub) on Saturday 30th September.
Food and drinks lovers can enjoy a selection of spicy treats from artisan food producers selling items such as jams, pickles, spiced teas, cured meats, exotic street food and more. For families there will be face painting and educational crafts, plus, a Spice Trail around the town, which takes visitors on a culinary journey of discovery, including a prize draw to win two nights’ accommodation, plus vouchers towards flights, at Le gîte Piscénois in ‘Pezenas’ the French town twinned with Market Drayton. www.legitepiscenois.com.
This event is backed by Market Drayton Town Council, plus local sponsors Billington’s Gingerbread, Image on Food, the Clive and Coffyne Pub, Pickles Restaurant, Joules Brewery and RockIT Events.
Market Drayton has a tremendous food heritage and a strong historical connection with the early spice trade routes via Clive of India. The aim is to grow the festival and for it to become an annual event which will boost visitors to the town and generate more business for locals shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs.
This first G&S Festival includes the following line up:-
Wednesday 27th September, 7.30pm
Clive’s Pop-up Supper Club. Venue: St Mary’s Street. Ticketed. See website. http://www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk/?page_id=359
Thursday 28th September, 7.30pm
Comedian Cook, George Egg. Venue: Festival Drayton. Ticketed. See website. http://www.festivaldraytoncentre.com/whatson/liveevents/liveeventsFeature.php?GEORGE-EGG-DIY-CHEF-56
Friday 29th September, 7.30pm
Shropshire’s Wild Dining Pop-up with James Sherwin at Oakley Hall, near Market Drayton. Ticketed. See website. http://www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk/?page_id=359
Saturday 30th September
• The Spice Exchange Street Market taking place under the Buttercross, on Market Street and the Clive and Coffyne Pub beer garden. Included will be stalls with spicy street food, jams, chutneys, meats, drinks and more. Also live music Heidi Browne plus Tabla and Sitar, also educational activities for children - Clive’s Secret Spice Box plus face painting. Free of Charge, 10am to 4.30pm.
• Wild Foraging Walk around the town with local Wild-Shropshire chef, James Sherwin. 12.30pm to 1.30pm. Ticketed. See website.
• Billington’s Gingerbread Baking Contest, 11.30am to 12.30pm at Festival Drayton Centre. FOC but must enter beforehand via the website.
• Chilli Ceramica, an exhibition of ceramic chillies. 11am to 4pm at the Festival Drayton Centre. FOC.
From Wednesday 27th to Saturday 30th September
• Spice Trail. Trail leaflets will be available from participating venues, shops and restaurants. Prize draw.
For all ticketed events, please go to the website: www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk and go to the events page.
All satellite events and booking information is listed on the website under events: www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk
Festival organisers still have spaces for stalls and sponsorship opportunities. For more information, please contact 07989 980016 or email firstname.lastname@example.org