St. Martins is a small borderland village north of Oswestry and east of Chirk. Originally the village was made up of the local townships of Ifton, Wiggington, Bronygarth and Weston Rhyn. All of these townships bordered Wales and the River Ceiriog and the River Dee forming a natural border. By 1870 Weston Rhyn and Bronygarth were formed into the new parish of Weston Rhyn.
The village church is dedicated (as one might expect) to St Martin. the parish was part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph until 1922 when it was transferred to the Diocese of Litchfield in England.
For centuries the village was under the influence of Chirk Castle and later passed to the Trevor family of Brynkinallt (Welsh: Bryncunallt) in Chirk.
In the 19th century a canal was constructed through the village by Thomas Telford. The canal linked the industrial areas around Ruabon to the canal network and now forms a small part of the Llangollen canal.
Agriculture predominates the landscape of Shropshire and St. Martins is no exception however, coal was successfully mined here for several centuries.